Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Bos tocough cough hack cough spitton

While we had a good time in Boston, it was not our best city.  This was largely because I ran a fever for four days and was very near death.  Okay, I wasn't really near death, but have you ever seen me sick?  I definitely feel like death and I'm not really quiet about it either.  


Despite my near death experience, here are some of the highlights of our trip! 



As now experienced subway riders, we took our chances and rode the commuter rail into the city.  For $12 we could leave our car at camp!  While NYC taught me quite a bit about driving in a big city, I was happy to forgo any more practice.


Above is a picture of me at the beginning of the day- all tylenoled up and ready for action.  Lurking underneath that smile is a vicious fever biding its time.


We make it in to Boston, but the freedom trail is a LONG walk.  Kids are already complaining and I'm having a hard time breathing.


But it is a pretty walk. 



First stop, battle of bunker hill- more like bunker mountain. 




Landon and the kids walked up to the top of the monument.  It was 293 stairs one way.  Landon took a few pictures of the view at the top. Beautiful!  He tried to take a picture looking down the spiral staircase but got too much vertigo.


We enjoyed a picnic lunch at the monument and planned out the rest of our trip.



We crossed the bridge into downtown Boston.


As we passed the Bruins rink I put a quick hex on them. You're welcome sue and the Hawks.




Second stop, the old north church, where Paul Revere was alerted that the British were coming.  It was a beautiful church with personal pews.  


We picked up some Boston t-shirts at the church store!



Paul Revere is wearing a Bruins jersey.




Paul Revere's house and hanging out in Little Italy.




We stopped for a quick splash in the park and change into our new Boston T-shirts.



We strolled through Quincy market which got our mouths watering. So many choices we wouldn't even know what to pick.  


We saw an amazing street show. I'll post the video of this on Facebook. The kids thought this was the most exciting part of the day.


Here's the courthouse and the site of the Boston massacre.


On the way to Boston Commons we passed statues depicting a family of Irish immigrants before and after their arrival in the US during the potato famine.  I think this memorial spoke to the children in a way that they could understand.  This may have been the one and only Monument the kids actually wanted to see.



We arrived at the statehouse and Boston Common. It's about twilight now everyone's getting hungry and a little cranky. Remember that fever I was talking about? It's beginning to rear its ugly head. Of course there was squirrel chasing and bird feeding at the park while Landon and I discussed our plans.  



Concerned we may miss our 10 o'clock commuter train and unable to walk anymore we head back to South Station.  It's a lot like a mall in the fact that there are several places to eat in the station. We decided to split up and choose our own dinners.  While Maya & Kirkland were more than happy to take the $10 and run, Kyndale was faced with her worst nightmare- a decision.  Maya helped her and she finally settled on chicken nuggets from McDonald's.


I of course choose a fancy grilled cheese and tomato soup combo while Landon fell into a lucky last minute pizza deal.  


Here is where I officially died.  I couldn't eat my sandwich and could barely hold my eyes open.  Yes folks, this is what DEATH looks like.  


We finally head home for the day.  Boston was fun, but I was sure happy to put it behind me.  


Chilled with fever we decided to stay a few extra days in Boston to recuperate.  We had originally planned some camping in New Hampshire with a quick stopover in Maine.  Instead I slept for two days and then took a quick day trip to Maine.  More about that tomorrow.  























1 comment:

  1. So sorry you were so sick! Nothing worse then being sick away from home! Still looks like ya'll are having fun!
    Love to all!
    Aunt Libby

    ReplyDelete